Interestingly enough, the display is made up of Soviet-era Numitron vacuum tubes. The tubes contain a series of lightbulb filaments that light up to display numbers.
The clock made a very good impression on the client, and he hired me to help design and build a case for a much larger clock. (That project is still in process, and when the necessary patents and trademarks etc on the design have been taken care of, I'll write more about it on the blog.)
The Chess Table was my final piece at North Bennet Street School. It's one of the highlights of my existing portfolio.
When the top is closed, the surface displays a 4-way match in walnut burl. I chose to incorporate the sapwood, because I like the color contrast.
The English Oak slab table is one of my most popular pieces. Unfortunately, it's also not for sale. I built the table from a slab of oak that I bought at Hearne Hardwoods in PA, while I was on vacation with my girlfriend. Since then, the slab has become a table, and the girlfriend has become my wife.
Because it's the center board of the tree, the grain has a lot going on. Towards the center, it looks rift-sawn... simple straight grain. On the way towards the edge, it looks more quartersawn, and the ray fleck that quarter sawn oak is prized for is on proud display. There are color variations from the pith to the heartwood, to the sapwood on the edge.
I love this table. When it's cleared off, I can let my eyes run over it for half an hour, and not notice the time go by.
The chippendale style chair is a standard North Bennet project. That said, I'm still happy about the way it turned out.
Curly maple can be a challenge to work with in simple, flat planes. Working it into curves isn't much better. There's a little more room for improvisation, but that's about it.
I made this chest for Ariel in 2007 for her birthday. It's a variant on a design that I used for a class that I taught in 2007. The chest for the class was smaller, with three panels across the front. This one is a bit wider, because I wanted it to sit at the foot of the bed.
The carving started out as a way to cover a goof. I'd laid out the mortises for the lid cleats incorrectly, and as a result, they were evenly spaced, but all slightly to the left. That left a larger field on the right hand side. To make it look deliberate, I decided I should use the larger space for something, and went for extra credit with the heart and initials.
Then I went to mount the lid, and realized I'd carved them upside down.
Rather than flip the lid and run the heavy bead profile again, I just made another lid. I measured everything correctly this time, but I decided to keep the carving. I also kept the girl... we got married on 10/10/10.
This is a 6-board cherry blanket chest that I built at school. I bought the wood as live edge slabs from a big-wood specialty place in western Massachusetts. The chest itself is four feet long, about 2 feet tall, and 18 inches from front to back.
The lid is inlaid with a medallion made of sand-shaded, bleached bird's eye maple.
I'll add more to this page as time goes on.
Maybe by the time it's done I'll have gotten around to designing the website.