I'd planned to go into the shop tomorrow, but won't be able to, so I went in today. I started with the beam at left. It's 12/4 Ash, 8 inches wide, 8 feet long. Before too long, it was broken down into smaller pieces, and I went from there. A big chunk off of the end became front legs and arm blanks. Back legs have been cut out and roughed out.
There will be a few things changed from the last iteration. Most importantly, I think, the back will be lowered. That should make it a much more comfortable chair to sit in. But most obviously will be the fact that I only had so much wood, so instead of a wooden seat, it's going to be upholstered. The wood I have will make a frame that will hold a a slip-seat. (basically, a cushion built on top of a wooden frame.)
Because the seat is being built differently, I had to do some head scratching to make sure the leg joinery would still work out ok. It took some thinking, but I think it'll work out ok. I may change my mind on that later. I need to go look at my books some more to make sure I'm not way out in left field, but I think I'm getting this right. I did end up wasting a lot of time with the head scratching though, because it came right in the middle of breaking down the lumber. 8 days ago (last time I was in the shop) I'd had a much different idea of how I was going to put everything together, and I got away from that today. I have 2 other smaller chunks of ash that I can use to fill in if I need them, but I'd like to get this right the first time.
Window to my workshop 111
5 hours ago