Monday, August 23, 2010

Psycho Summer. And getting back on track.

I apologize for the sporadic post schedule and the vagueness of the posts over the summer. The schedule with the US Census had me at my wits end...


By way of example, the block of maple I alluded to cutting back in the beginning of June was the start of what should have been a pretty simple project. But it still took me two and a half months to deliver. The project was a simple kitchen island made with fir and tap-hole maple. I know that's a funny designation for the kind of maple used, but I've also heard of buckshot maple, wormy maple, (otherwise known as ambrosia maple), quilted and curly maple, and so on. So it's not a designation having to do with species necessarily... But I digress. This is an early shot of the island as it was coming together. I'll put up more pictures soon. The final result was nice, but it did highlight for me the fact that my hand skills are a little bit rusty.

More has been going on than just the island and the Census. I now have a workbench at home, and the work area at the shop has been altered. And I have big plans for both spaces coming up. The past half year has felt pretty catastrophic at times, and while woodwork has been kept on the back burner for a while, I'd intended to keep the back burner turned on. 

No comments: