Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Roubo on Furniture

The other day I posted this tease picture, under the headline "Satisfied would be a gross understatement."

After thinking about it, I felt weird and self-conscious about my approach to the post from a few different directions. And so I pulled it down.

And then the next day, I noticed that someone had left the following comment:

"I love those books, and can't believe we actually got to publish them. Plus, I use them all the time, so it's a joy to page through them."


For those who don't know, this is a shot of the spines of two expensive, limited edition books, in a very large, long-abandoned format. (12-1/4" x 17-1/4") The first, I bought years ago, when it was still available. The other, arrived this week. They're English translations of two (out of five) volumes on woodworking that were written by AndrĂ© Jacob Roubo. They were translated, and the content clarified, by a multi-disciplinary team that are each authorities in their own right, intending that the book should be not only authoritative, but readable and use-able to an English-literate audience. My understanding is that producing each of these books was a long, arduous, and devoted labor of love, that spanned an ocean, and many years. It also resulted in the production of two, separate, Award  Winning volumes. There are smaller, 'normal sized' editions of these books that are, and will continue to be available from Lost Art Press. But these are the big, fancy, brag-worthy ones. And I'm pretty sure that the comment was left by Chris Schwarz, one of the owners and stewards of this particular imprint.

And so, after noticing the comment, I felt like a dope for pulling the post. But here's the rest of the story. 

I had already planned to road-trip down to Lost Art Press this month, specifically to buy this book. This was back when they had planned to open the doors to the public, as they do every month. But fate, and the pandemic, had other ideas. As I said the other day, I can't think of another way to support the lunatic ideas that are coming out of Lost Art Press, than to continue to buy their product. So, since I had the money earmarked for this particular book already, and because I was knocked so far sideways by what he's got planned for the forthcoming Anarchist's Workbench book, I knee-jerk ordered this thing in response. ("Books for free, my eye! Take that, you Anarchist! HA!")

I don't like doing reviews of things until I'm familiar with them. And it's Roubo. If I need to explain that to you, as the saying goes, you wouldn't get it anyway. For me to offer to pass judgment on Roubo would be the height of vanity.

That said, I can at least say something about the physical object that LAP has produced. Yes, it’s award-winning, and I can see why. But aside from that, there’s good reason to go with the large format: The plates and illustrations in Roubo are large, and detailed. And you get a much better look at large, detailed illustrations when they’re printed in a large, detailed format. And the resolution on the page is incredible, so those images are even more crisp. I can't decide if these books are too nice to use in the shop, or if they deserve to be on the bench as regularly as possible. Probably a false dichotomy: I do respect my tools, and I do use them on the bench. And the pages in these editions are printed on very heavy stock. So they’re going, in theory, to last for a good, long time. That, on top of a sewn binding, heavy, durable covers, and a slip case that actually slips off. (I’ve owned fine copies of other books, where the slip cases were very, very tight, and so some man-handling was required to extricate their contents..)

I can also say I was caught off-guard by the packaging of this latter book when it was delivered. They invested in some custom cardboard crating to provide ample crumple zones around the edges of the box, and did a noteworthy job protecting the volume. It's one of those little things that conveys just how seriously they take their product, and their customers. So, job well done. And thanks, for that.

Totally worth every penny.



4 comments:

Don Williams said...

Hi James

I agree completely, as artifacts the deluxe books are sumptuous things. Special thanks go to Wesley for the design and of course LAP for making the commitment. I need to get my current LAP manuscript finished so I can return to Roubo, Michele is a full book ahead of me already.

DCW

Anonymous said...

I love the books that Lost Art Press publish, and like you have continued to support their 'lunatic ideas', not just because the content needs to be preserved, shared, got out there, (however you want to describe what it is that drives Chris and co), but because Lost Art Press are keeping people aware that books are great things to have in their own right.
I started my working career in the 1980's in the print industry in the UK, (just as it hit the buffers, and everything either went electronic, or was shipped out to the far east to be printed by cheap labour, on cheap paper to even cheaper standards, which ultimately largely killed off the print industry in the UK.
So its great to see a published printing and distributing properly case bound, sewn books printed on quality paper and making a go of it - well done Lost Art press !
And yes, the Roubo books are amazing, and anyone involved in how they were published should be thanked collectively by anyone with an interest in woodworking, becuase to have lost the knowledge etc in them would have been criminal.

JW said...

Hi Don,

I don’t think I was tracking that the Roubo project is still ongoing. Are you going to go through all of them?

If you are, are you going to do something similar with coach building, architectural and trellis work, where you work with current professionals in the field to make sure it’s presented in a way that makes sense to those fields? Just for the sheer nerdiness of it, I’m curious to hear what her majesty’s craftspersons at the Royal Mews would have to say...

Don Williams said...

Hi James

Our current strategy is to get "The Roubo Lexicon" knocked out as soon as I get done with "A Period Finisher's Manual," for which I hope I am on the home stretch. "The Roubo Lexicon" is the translated and annotated glossary from the end of the series, roughly 60 pages of definitions as compiled by Roubo at the completion of "L"Art du Menuisier." Michele Pagan is already at work on "Roubo on Trellises and Garden Furniture," a subject that is her passion, and after that we intend to move on to "Roubo on Carpentry," which includes windows and doors, stairs and floors. Finally we hope to finish up with "Roubo on Carriages," by which time we will both be in our mid-to-late 70s and probably ready to ease off the gas.