Thursday, January 19, 2012

Why the Internet is anathema to productivity

"The ancestor of every action is a thought."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The idea of a table is a simple one. The idea of building a table is less so. It's hard to visualize all of the details, which is where drawings come in: joinery, dimensions, proportions: It's a very complex thought, and it takes time to work it all out. And yes, it takes a bit of focused effort. But to prepare for the action of building, you must organize and prepare the thought, the idea, that will guide your efforts.

For myself, I find the Internet to be the ideal place for unfocused, easy thoughts. I can type faster than I can write, and while I can't yet type at the speed of thought, I can point and click at the speed of distraction. Several browser tabs and a google search later, what have I learned?

Apparently hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is defined as 'a fear of long words.' how the hell does one deliver such a diagnosis? That's just evil.

What? Oh, table... Right. Then what have I really learned?

The Internet is NOT a great place to develop and work out a complex idea. Or, to learn about a complex idea.

Go to your shop, and do it there.

No comments: